The 5 D's
Dusk and Dawn - Avoid being outdoors when mosquitoes are seeking for a blood meal. For many species this is during the dusk and dawn hours.
Dress - Wear shoes, socks, long pants, and a long-sleeved shirt when ourdoors for long periods of time or when mosquitoes are most active. Clothing should be light colored and made of tightly woven materials to keep mosquitoes away from the skin.
Drain - Reduce the amount of standing water in or near your property by draining and/or removing it.
DEET - Use an insect repellant containing DEET. Spray clothing with repellents containing permethrin or DEET because mosquitoes may bite through thin clothing. Always read the manufacturer's directions carefully before you put on a repellent.
Tips on Eliminating Mosquito Breeding Sites
1. Clean out eaves, troughs and gutters.
2. Remove old tires or drill holes in those used in playgrounds to drain.
3. Turn over or remove empty plastic pots.
4. Pick up all beverage containers and cups.
5. Check tarps on boats or other equipment that may collect water.
6. Pump out bilges on boats.
7. Replace water in birdbaths and pet or other animal feeding dishes at least once a week.
8. Change water in plant trays, including hanging plants, at least once a week.
9. Remove vegetation or obstructions in drainage ditches that prevent the flow of water.
Other ways to protect yourself and your family
1. Install or repair screens for windows and doors that stay open, so mosquitoes cannot get indoors.
2. Place mosquito netting over infant carriers when you are outdoors with infants.
Copyright © 2007 - 2015 Citrus County Mosquito Control District. All rights reserved